We just hit a big milestone, v100! We're grateful for all the support the community has provided for Colonist.
In 2019 Colonist was a niche game which only had the base game and only the most hardcore Catan players played.
In 2020 Colonist has 4 expansions and has became a worldwide known game played from casual Catan players to celebrities and CEOs.
We wanted to do a recap of 2020 and share our plans for 2021.
Game Stats from Jan 2020 to Jan 2021:
- Monthly Active Users: 53,471 => 701,851
- Registered Players: 6984 =>287,733
- Games Played: 13,833,827 (Since March)
- Years of Game Time: 37 => 461
- Average Time Per Game: 17 minutes
This year we’ve released 33 versions including lots of fixes & features.
Regarding our player base growth, most of it came from the pandemic. We can easily say the quarantine accelerated our growth by 1 or 2 years. At the peak of the pandemic, we had max 9000 concurrent online users. It went down to 2000 during September and climbed back to 4000 in December.
After we started working full time on colonist, first commit was at 24.09.2018.
Development Stats until Jan 2021:
- In development for: 830 days
- Public releases: 97 versions
- Code commits: 14,848
- Lines of TS code: 55,042
- Lines of TS tests: 20,752
- Total lines of TS Code: 75,794 (equivalent to 8 average books)
- Words in patch notes: 9136
- Suggestions done: 219
- Team members: 4
This leads to different kind of comparisons:
- Lines of code per user: 0.26
- Commits per day: 17.8
- Years of game time per resolved suggestion: 2.1
- Days of game time per one commit: 11.3
- Days of game time for each line of code: 2.2
This shows that making changes, improving things, and fixing even small annoyances in the game is worth it. - Kovarex
We received huge support from many contributors around the game helping organize tournaments, fix bugs, handling community, and so on.
Colonist Social Stats from Jan 2020 to Jan 2021:
- Discord Members: ~2,000 => 18,489
- r/Colonist Members: 36 => 574
- Twitter Followers: ~50 => 292
- Instagram Followers: ~50 => 325
- Youtube Subscribers: 16 => 72
- Twitch Followers: 0 => 400
Colonist Community Stats from Jan 2020 to Jan 2021:
- r/Catan Members: 22,718 => 34,584
- DyLighted - Catan: 1,820 => 24,000
- Neonate Gaming: 2,310 => 3,150
- Treeckosaurus Gaming: 429 => 1,800
- Tournaments on Colonist: ~10 => ~100
- Tournament prizes awarded: ~$500 => ~$5000
Here is our public to-do list. As can be seen, we’re working on the next item which is Cities & Knights expansion. Then we will work on the mobile version. Then create an ELO system, rankings & leaderboards. We'll also work on the reliability and stabilize servers and connections.
Want to help us to accomplish these? We're looking to increase the size of our team.