Dust off your boots and mark your calendars, Settlers. The second edition of Colonist Tournament happens this November 10th!
Colonist Championship is a Settlers of Catan tournament hosted by the online game Colonist. This Catan tournament holds the record of having the largest prize pool in history and had a successful first edition.
And it doesn’t end there! As we aim to do an even better job this time.
How it Works:
Every participant will play at least 3 matches:
- Round 1
- Semi Finals
In the first round we’ll do a 3-round swiss in which players play against different players on each table.
The 16 players with the most wins move on to the semi-finals and the winners of their respective semi-finals will play in the finals, which will be live streamed with commentary at https://www.twitch.tv/treeckosaurus!
How to Join:
Before I go into more details, let me take you through the sign-up process. To be part of the tournament, all you need to do is take 4 small steps:
- If you don’t have an account yet, create one on https://colonist.io/ (it’s pretty easy!)
- Create a Discord account at https://discordapp.com/ (it’s like Skype - only 10x better, safer, and more user-friendly!)
- Join us at the Colonist-io Discord-server here: https://discord.gg/GsVf7PN
- And sign-up for the tournament here: http://bit.ly/CCS2_Signup
The official Tournament Mode will be using the following settings:
Private Game: Yes
Hide Bank Card: Yes
Friendly Robber: No
Players: 4 (unless only 3 is available)
Card Discard Limit: 7
Victory Points for Win: 10
Game Speed: Normal
Bot Speed: Normal
I’ve asked a former Settlers of Catan World Champion and other skilled players on what’s the best way to do tie-breakers and we’ve decided that wins are more important than many second places.
Group stage tie-breakers:
- Total Wins
- Total amount of Victory Points
- (Sum of the points in all your games) / (Sum of all players points in the games you played) = Your point percentage
- The order in which the players registered to the tournament
These tie-breakers may decide who will move on to the semi-finals. An awesome story from the first edition: In the last tournament, because a tie-breaker was applied wrong for a few minutes (sorry about that :) ), Mufasa was almost eliminated. He then ended up winning the whole championship!
It gets better! These are the prizes that our winners Mufasa, DerLeopard, BongBoy, and MikeIsMylke won:
Prize pool (provided by Colonist.io)
Total Prize Pool: $350
Winner: $40 + a Founder’s Pack
Finalists: $20 + a Colonist’s Pack
Curious what those goodie packs contain? You can checkout what these “Founder’s Packs” and “Colonist’s Packs” have in store for you below:
Again: the tournament will be held on the 10th of November and the sign-up process is already open! We decided to have GMT/UTC +0 (Great Britain) as the main time zone, because it’s the easiest to calculate with for the players.
We have created schedules for every round to start, so participants won’t need to wait a long time for their next match. This also allows players to not check Discord for a few minutes and eat dinner for example.
Below is the full schedule:
Sign-up starts: now
Tournament Date: UTC/GMT +0 -- 10th of November
Sign-up ends: 2 PM
Check-in starts: 1 PM
Check-in ends: 2 PM
Brackets published: 2:30 PM
Round 1 starts: 2:30 PM
Round 2 brackets published: 4:15 PM
Round 2 starts: 4:15 PM
Round 3 brackets published: 5:30 PM
Round 3 starts: 5:30 PM
Semi-Finals start: 6:45 PM
Final starts: 8 PM
From my experiences with hosting King of Catan, many participants aren’t familiar with time zone calculations, so you can check here when the check-in phase starts: https://countle.com/vij0hJ0-O?d=d.
After this you still have one hour left to sign-up, the brackets will be published half an hour later and round 1 will be able to start.
If you win a game, you’ll need to take a screenshot and paste it in the screenshot-channel in the Colonist Discord-server.
To prevent cheating, hacking, unfriendliness, and other unwanted acts, I would like to reiterate these terms and conditions for the Colonist Championship 2 tournament participants:
Terms and conditions:
- You are not allowed to join with more than one account
- If a player disconnects or leaves the game, he/she can connect within 180 seconds and continue the game;
- The game starts when the map has loaded;
- Being abusive by spamming, harassing, threatening or insulting other players in chat on colonist.io or on discordapp.com will not be tolerated and will result in (but not limited to) the following: warnings, disqualifications, as well as getting banned from future tournaments. If you encounter any breach of these rules while taking part in this tournament, take screenshots and contact the tournament host (on the Colonist Discord-server);
- You are responsible for all the actions taken on your account and only you are allowed to play on your account.
- Abusing different glitches, cheats, or non intended bugs in-game will disqualify you instantly.
- All actions that are in "bad faith," that is, not in the friendly, polite spirit of this tournament are prohibited. The host reserves the right to judge whether actions are taken in "bad faith" and assign consequences accordingly.
If you would prefer to have the rules explained in a video-form, then look no further:
The first edition of this tournament was a great experience and I believe the second edition will be even better.
- Join us at the Colonist Discord-server here: https://discord.gg/GsVf7PN
- Sign-up for the tournament here: http://bit.ly/CCS2_Signup
Thanks for reading and I look forward to welcoming you in the tournament!
Host of Colonist.io Championship Series
Creator of the King of Catan tournament