Have you ever wanted to play a game of Catan, but there were just too many people? With the 5-6 and 7-8 player expansion pack games, now you can play with everyone! Below is an in-depth analysis of the specific rules to the 5-6 and 7-8 player expansion packs for Colonist.
How many of each tile number/port are on the board?
How many of each Resource/ Development card in the bank?
How many hexes does each resource own on the board?
What is the special build phase in 5-6 and 7-8 player games?
In both of the expansion packs, there is a mechanic called the Special Build Phase. This essentially allows anyone to make a move between turns of other players.
Let's pretend that there are 5 players playing on the 5-6 player map. Here are the steps to how the Special Build Phase would come into effect.
- All players place their 10 settlements across the board
- First player rolls and completes their turn
- Starting with Player 2, the rest of players can utilize their special build phase flag, pictured below.
- Players using special build phase cannot trade with the bank or another player, but they can do the following 4 things:
- Buy a development card
- Build a road
- Build a settlement
- Build a city
How does the special build phase work during late game?
Toward the end of a 5-6 or 7-8 player Catan game, the special build phase can be crucial. However, there are rules surrounding this phase that are essential to know.
- For example, let's say you are at 9 points, and your roll is in 2 turns. If you buy a victory point during the special build phase to get to 10 points, you do not automatically win.
- With 5-6 and 7-8 player games, you can ONLY win on YOUR turn. This means that you would have to wait 2 more rolls to win the game.
- Now, let's say that the player before you ends up getting to 10 points on their turn. This would mean that they would win, even though you technically got 10 points first.
- This rule applies with every type of way to get to 10 points, assuming that you are using a special building phase when you get your 10th point.
Can you play a development card during the special build phase?
No. When using the special building phase, you are not allowed to play any type of development card. However, if you buy a development card during the special build phase, you are allowed to play that development card when it becomes your turn.
Time to test your knowledge!
Hopefully you learned a lot by reading this quick description of the 5-6 and 7-8 player expansion packs for colonist.io. Now let's put that knowledge in action and see what you’ve got.
If you are interested in playing with one of these packs, you can buy them in the Colonist.io store!